Tuesday, August 23, 2011

1st Lesson: 3 interesting things I learnt and 1 funny fact

22nd August 2011

3 Interesting Things

1) Learnt the "ten-frame" which I really found that it would be really useful for children - clear-cut and concrete.




2) Learnt the 'spelling' trick with cards. Will perform this to my children in hope to spark an interest in them towards numbers!

3) Arrange five numbers. This looks simple but I found it really complex, whether in regard to my past failures in mathematics or it is really complicated. But I understood in the end, amazingly (: Sense of accomplishment!



Funny Fact

Teachers showing a picture of three (or more) boys before the finishing line and asking
"Who is the third in the race?" (testing on Ordinal Numbers)



Answer: This question can't be answered (phrased incorrectly!) as they have not completed the race yet! Hahaha..

Reflection:

Surprisingly, the first session wasn't as boring as I expected. I always enjoyed having a teacher with a good sense of humour especially in a subject such as mathematics (: Interesting problems were posed and I admit, I struggled with all the problems but it is the struggle that adds/turns into the sense of accomplishment when the problem is finally solved. I was really influenced by all the positive energy moving around in the class, and inspired to look for other strategies and ways after meeting a dead-end. All in all, a fulfilling session that really used up my brain cells, resulting in me sleeping really soundly yesterday night. Hahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment