Thursday, September 1, 2011

5th Lesson: 3 interesting things

26th August 2011

3 Interesting Things

1) The 'Dot' Pattern



This is the first time I have heard of the Pick's Theorem. I have to admit it was introduced in a really interesting way though - by getting us to draw as many different sized squares as possible. And I was pretty surprised by myself as I could figure out more than 6 ways to draw the different squares!! Calculating the area was tough, I was extremely impressed with the "add the number of dots minus three" relationship that my classmate came up with! Kudos to her!!

2) The Graph Chart

Graph is my favourite topic especially when teaching children. It sparks interest in them and they can all participate and see their "cube" on the graph chart. The graph can be anything from "My Favourite ______" to "How I Travel To School" etc. However, it was a challenge to come up with a graph without proper instructions (look at how used we are to listening to instructions), but we quickly decided to come up with what we could!

3) Quiz Question

"Monsters can have 3 eyes or 2 eyes. How many monsters are there if they have 19 eyes altogether?"

My first instinct was to do trial and error method, as I was taught in school. However my intelligent partner pointed out later on, that Dr Yeap had taught us number bonds! From 19, 10 and 9 can be taken out and 10 can be divided by 2 while 9 can be divided by 3. Altogether it would be 5 + 3 which would make the answer 8 monsters altogether!

Reflection:

Overall, it was a really interesting lesson although the topics were familiar. Yet they felt unfamiliar. Probably this is evidence that we are exploring the same topic from a different angle which is really crucial in any good curriculum. To make the familiar unfamiliar. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment